Monday 11 May 2009

in the world, not of the world

Stray thoughts have been racing through my head these past few weeks but I feel like I just haven't had enough to put a blog post together. As usual, in the run-up to exams, my mind is drifting and I am doing everything BUT revising for exams. I wasn't like this before but as I fill my time watching Star Trek Voyager, I realise how much my education system had fashioned me into a Borg drone. Complete a task and start on another. Every drone is part of the one collective mind. Every inch of creativity and individuality is suppressed. Pleasure is irrelevant. I have to admit, it's been enjoyable coming out into the real world.

Last night, I happened to catch the Da Vinci code on TV and realise how unreal the world really is. While the Israelites are often mentioned in the Bible 'doing evil in the eyes of the Lord', their practices were often limited to worshipping foreign gods... Two millenia later, we're inventing new ways everyday to diminish the true power of God. I expect someone will be printing one of those 'A-Page-A-Day' calendars on such a topic. Angry? Yes, that's the emotion I expected myself to have. But I don't have the right to be. I am part of Adam's fallen race. I find myself before the throne and the only words I have are, 'Lord, have mercy.' It makes me sad to think that man has tried to mortalise God through a movie. But a great Comforter he has been and always will be, he spoke to me through John 1:14 "The only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth." Spurgeon writes in his devotional, "You can say, 'He is divine to me, if He be human to all the world beside. He has done that for me which none but a God could do... Let others think as they will of Him, to me He must be the only begotten of the Father, blessed be his name'."

Indeed, he is divine to me, if He be human to all the world beside.

No comments: