Wednesday 21 March 2007

signs and wonders

“Once these signs are fulfilled, do whatever your hand finds to do, for God is with you.” 1 Samuel 10:7

One thing I’ve found difficult, was asking God for personal things. Maybe for ministry, for friends, for family, for the world, but for myself – it was difficult. That was another reason why I was afraid to go back to Singapore or to Dundee. I was afraid to get caught up again in the material world, so fixed on acquiring little luxuries, like clothes, shoes and accessories we just didn’t need. It definitely isn’t sinful to have property, money, a family or anything like that. Still, it didn’t change the fact that I just couldn’t ask for it.
In 1 Samuel 9 and 10, Saul was anointed king by Samuel. He certainly didn’t ask for it but God blessed him with it. You would think that someone would be happy being appointed king and just take it, but no, Saul didn’t. He questioned how someone as insignificant as him could be blessed with something so great. Instead of just receiving the blessing, he asked God for more signs to be sure. God didn’t call him ungrateful and then take it back; he gave him so many signs that there was no more space for doubt. And finally God told him that when these signs were fulfilled, he should pick up his task, for God was with him.
And I find I’m like that. Before I could even ask God for something, I had to be sure he wanted me to have it. I could never really bring myself to ask God for personal things. So I asked for signs that to be sure that God accepted my request. To my utter surprise, God fulfilled these signs. To be honest, it took me a while to grasp my head around it. Now I know that I can keep holding on to that request, because God has granted me his favour and given me his promise.
Indeed, now I know what Psalm 37:4 truly means ‘Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart.’ God delights in the well-being of his servant (Psalm 35:27) and when we are willing to give our lives to serve him, he will not withhold any good thing from us.

No comments: