Saturday 17 May 2008

not the dolphins

Not once have I ever written two blog entries so close to the other... But I had a little revelation just the other night, which feels like one of God's little pick-me-ups. It's not the way life is supposed to be really, but occasionally I do lose my balance and fall.

Doing marine biology has always one of my little ambitions. Even as a little girl, I remember arguing with my sister over who would get the 'narwhal' flik flak watch. Sea World was like a dream come true, and I could easily imagine myself spending all day with dolphins and my favourite, the white beluga. But anyway, I'm far from that dream now. Some dreams ARE meant to remain dreams.

And this is what God has shown me, I'm chasing another dream now. His dream. I have a friend who is a marine biologist now serving God and sometimes she tells me that she wishes she had done a degree which might have been more instrumental in her ministry. Just the other day, I read of this marine biologist turned ophthalmologist. This is it. God wanted me to serve man, not dolphins. It's not a lesser job, it's a different job. And sadly, it wasn't a job that I was meant to do. God made me with the abilities he wanted me to have and in my heart, I know I've found what I was created to do.

Sometimes the days are a struggle, other days they aren't at all. But every day is God-given. There's a beautiful song in Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame called 'God help the outcasts' and if my heart ever had a song to sing, this is it.

"God help the outcasts, hungry from birth
Show them the mercy they don't find on earth
God help my people, we look to you still
God help the outcasts for nobody will

... I ask for nothing I can get by
For I know so many less lucky than I
Please help my people - the poor and downtrod
I thought we all were the children of God
God help the outcasts, children of God"

No comments: