Saturday 24 May 2008

signature of grace

Now and then through my blog, I've always made mention of the exodus, a story that has made a great impact in my life. Admittedly, it was immortalised in my mind by Charlton Heston when I watched it at the age of 4 but the version in the Bible was the one imprinted in my heart.

It's been weeks since the cyclone hit and the release on aid restrictions have allowed many to breathe a sigh of relief. Yet as I listen to the news, it is not as black and white as it sounds. Doesn't this sound familiar? In Exodus 8:25, Pharoah tells Moses that the Israelites are now allowed to sacrifice to God but only in Egypt. In verse 28, he then says that they can go to the desert, but not very far. In Exodus 10:10, only the men are allowed to go. In verse 24, the women and children can go too, but the Israelites are to leave their flocks and herds. But finally in Exodus 12:31, the exodus begins. To me, the situation seems much alike.

What we see may be bargaining between earthly men, but it is a story wholly imprinted with the signature of God's grace. Those who share with me of their work tell me that things they bring give relief from hunger for the moment, but no hope for the dawn, much less the future. What then? I pray that someday these people will be able to claim the promise of Jeremiah 29:11 as their own.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you, and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

No comments: